Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Transformers Transformation

I got to see the new Transformers movie this weekend with my family. It was a good shoot-em up, alien, save the world sort of movie. I had seen the first two movies as well. Occasionally I like a movie that is big in the special effects: the kind that makes you think "How did they do that?" I thought this when watching Transformers. It seems like each of the movies they find how to do something more spectacular than the last.

There was something that left me feeling off about this movie though...it was that spiritual heartburn again. (I know what you are thinking...she has spiritual heartburn in a movie about alien robots, but you never know when it creeps up and there isn't a pill you can take for it). There was two alien robots fighting in the movie. One was Optimus Prime. He is the leader of the Autobots, the "good" alien robot race (I like to say alien robots). He comes from a long line of leaders from the planet Cypertron. The movie centers around Optimus finding a energy cell from "the Ark," a ship sent from Cypertron. On this ship was Sentinel Prime. Sentinel Prime was suppose to be a good guy but he formed a pack with the evil Megatron, leader of the Decepticons (I love how it's easy to label good and evil in the land of make-believe...if it was only that simple in real life). In the final battle sceen between Optmus and Sentinel, Sentinel began to question Optimus' decision to protect Earth and it's inhabitants. Sentinel declared "We were gods on Cypertron and you are willing to give that up to protect humanity."

This is where that spiritual heartburn starts to show up. First, I guess I don't like the word "god" thrown around. Hollywood does this a lot but I do this in my own life too and I want to stop. To me, there is only one God and He created everything, including the imagination of the Hasbro creator who made up the alien robot franchise. I would think this was great reason to have spiritual heartburn but then I realized there was a second component...

God chose humanity. He chose to create us and He chooses to love us even when we reject Him, even when we throw around His name and label our cartoon, movie heros' "gods" instead of him. He chooses us. He chooses me. He sent His son to earth in the arms of a teenage girl (not on alien robot spaceships). He did this, He sent His Son to repair our relationship with Him, to make us whole and clean through the radiance of love on the Cross. There is nothing we have done ever to deserve this kind of love, this kind of mercy and grace and sacrifice.

I am so grateful for His gift to us that neither the word "so" or "grateful" seems fitting. I am not humbled enough by His sacrifice and may be that's the true reason I have this spiritual heartburn. Am I taking His love for me for granted? I am grateful that He continues to speak to me daily and even in between special affects of alien robot battles, He reminds me of His ever present desire for all of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment